Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made a typo error entering a value from my W2 form which I didn't notice until after filing. Do i need to amend?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ModestaL

I made a typo error entering a value from my W2 form which I didn't notice until after filing. Do i need to amend?

Yes, you would need to amend your return in order to correct that error. If you have already e-filed or mailed the return, then you will need to wait until the IRS has accepted or rejected that return before you can make any changes.  

• If they reject it, then just make the needed changes (add W-2 corrections) and re-submit the return.  
  • If they accept it, then you will need to wait until you have received your refund and then amend that return to make changes (add W-2 corrections). You will need to send in any forms that caused the need for an amendment (Original 1040 Form, new 1040X Form and reason for amending. Print, sign and mail your forms to the IRS.

Click here for instructions for amending a return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Which box did you enter wrong?

line 2. Instead of a period I entered a comma in the value which revealed a ridiculously high number on my federal return that I did not notice right away.
ModestaL

Yes, you would need to amend your return in order to correct that error. If you have already e-filed or mailed the return, then you will need to wait until the IRS has accepted or rejected that return before you can make any changes.  

• If they reject it, then just make the needed changes (add W-2 corrections) and re-submit the return.  
  • If they accept it, then you will need to wait until you have received your refund and then amend that return to make changes (add W-2 corrections). You will need to send in any forms that caused the need for an amendment (Original 1040 Form, new 1040X Form and reason for amending. Print, sign and mail your forms to the IRS.

Click here for instructions for amending a return.

M12345d

I thought I took a picture of the W-2 and uploaded it to TurboTax but after me auditing myself for about 6 hours I put box number two or box number for goes and box number four or number two goes, I actually typed it I guess, it's short $70 on my federal withheld. 

@william-bentley I know this is an old post. Interested how you ended up. I just noticed a minor error on the W-2 I submitted.  Entered one number wrong by $1 (put in a 3 that should have been a 4).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies