Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fuhsangel

I'm claiming my boyfriend as a dependent. Can I claim his mortgage on my tax return? Do I use his w-2 forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm claiming my boyfriend as a dependent. Can I claim his mortgage on my tax return? Do I use his w-2 forms?

You can not claim your dependent's deductions, like mortgage interest, on your tax returns.

You do not add your dependent's income (W-2 or otherwise) on your tax return. If it needs to be reported, he has to file his own tax return.

The question you haven't asked is: does your BF qualify as your dependent. He does not if his W-2 (box 1) is more than $4150.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4150 ($4,050 in 2016-17)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support**. That's unlikely if you are living in his house. 

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

**The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf The support value of a home is the fair market rental value, divided by the number of occupants.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You can not claim your dependent's deductions, like mortgage interest, on your tax returns.

You do not add your dependent's income (W-2 or otherwise) on your tax return. If it needs to be reported, he has to file his own tax return.

The question you haven't asked is: does your BF qualify as your dependent. He does not if his W-2 (box 1) is more than $4150.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4150 ($4,050 in 2016-17)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support**. That's unlikely if you are living in his house. 

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

**The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf The support value of a home is the fair market rental value, divided by the number of occupants.

IamQ
Level 1

Dear Hal_AI,

I have the same question - can I claim my not-legally-married wife's mortgage interest, but we have a slightly different scenario. 

We've been living with each other for the past 2 years.  We hope you can help to answer our question as I'm filing my 2020 Tax Return with the extended filing date of May 17 approaches.  We are both divorced, retired, own our own homes, and grown children who have moved out.   We both still have our own mortgages to pay.  I moved in and live with my "wife" in her house and rented out my home as that is the most economical sense for our situation.  I have been paying for both of our mortgages and all living expenses.  From your comments, she meets all of the 6 IRS criteria to be my dependent.  Can I claim her mortgage interest and all of her expenses to reduce our taxes?  Thank you so much in advance for your advice/help.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. The IRS allows only the actual owner of a property to claim tax deductions for that property. Therefore, even if you are paying her mortgage interest and property taxes, you still won't be able to claim deductions for those payments.

Publication 936

@IamQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
QTT
Level 1

That's very sad and not fair to people like us.  :(

Thank you so kindly for your answer, LenaH.

Best,

If you get married and file a Joint return you can take all the deductions.  

QTT
Level 1

We will follow your advice.  Thanks so much!  Take care.

Best,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies