I know you can amend tax return to switch to itemized deduction. can you amend tax return and switch to standard deduction instead of itemized deduction?

Yes, if you are not married filing separately.  For married filing separately, if one spouse itemizes deductions the other must itemize deductions even if the expenses are minimal.

You are allowed to change to the standard deduction instead of itemizing under other circumstances. Use the information below to amend your tax return and be sure to read it first so that all of your original figures remain in place for the amendment.  Once you are ready to amend, you can simply delete or remove deductions you entered on the original return. You may need to amend your state as well.

An amended return must be mailed because the IRS does not allow efile.  TurboTax will provide the instructions.

What if married filing joint?

@joseph35hall Yes, you can change from itemized deductions to standard deduction.

@TurboTaxDianeW Thank you for your help!

@joseph35hall You're welcome!  I'm privileged to help.