turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dkiely60

I just realized in the previous years I got my dependants SSN switched how do I correct this?

I just realized in the previous years I got my dependants SSN switched how do I correct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

The only way to change/correct a previously filed tax return that has been accepted by the IRS is to amend it.  People amend tax returns to add income or make changes that affect the amount of taxes owed or refunded. However, to just switch valid social security numbers would not necessitate an amended tax return.  The IRS would have notified you if they saw a problem with your previously filed tax return.  I would make sure that you use the correct social security number next to the correct dependent moving forward.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SeanE1

The only way to change/correct a previously filed tax return that has been accepted by the IRS is to amend it.  People amend tax returns to add income or make changes that affect the amount of taxes owed or refunded. However, to just switch valid social security numbers would not necessitate an amended tax return.  The IRS would have notified you if they saw a problem with your previously filed tax return.  I would make sure that you use the correct social security number next to the correct dependent moving forward.

Manage cookies