Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just filed an amended return (e-file). Then TurboTax did something unexpected

I originally filed my return on March 10.  I owed both fed and state taxes, and elected direct debit on April 14. Then, on the following day, I got a second correction to my Schwab 1099, which would lower my amount owed substantially. So I went thru the process of amending my return, which TT made easy to do. I selected e-file and direct credit for both fed and state (I'm in CA).

At the end, TT said 'don't forget to mail your amended federal return' and printed a voucher page for the corrected amount owed. But I selected direct debit on both the original return and the amended return! And direct credit for the amount shown on the amended return!

Are the feds still going to debit my account on the date I selected? Going thru the amending process, it seemed to me that they would still do the direct debit, then 16 to 20 weeks later, process the amended return and do a direct credit.

(Just now I got an email saying my amended return has been accepted by the feds.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you use the new direct debit feature of 1040-X, you don't have to pay separately.

@dwright2020 

What 'new debit feature'?

The original e-file was with direct debit.

The amended return asked how I wanted the refund, and I chose 'direct credit'.

So I don't know what you are saying. I never saw a screen where TT asked about the new balance due (all it ever showed was the refund based on the correction), and wasn't too concerned because the first had direct debit.

Maybe this is why the first advice I got was to wait on the amended return until after the original one was processed and the funds withdrawn from my account?

I never got a definitive answer to this question. I even spoke to an actual IRS person and she described the process of handling returns and amended returns which jibed with my understanding (that ordinary returns are processed in a few weeks, and amended returns would take up to 16 weeks), but she never responded to my description of events by affirming that I handled it correctly. So I'm proceeding on the assumption that TT is wrong and I don't need to follow up my e-file of an amended reeturn with a paper return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies