dave8921

I just discovered that I left a $2610 deduction off the medical portion of Sch A. Can I amend my current filing even though I just received my tax return from IRS today?

Howard1948

Yes, you can file an amended return using Form 1040-X.  But before you do . . .

Remember that medical expenses as an itemized deduction must, in total, exceed 10% (7.5% if you or your spouse are 65 or over) of your adjusted gross income.  So be sure adding these medical expenses would actually change your tax return before you go to all the trouble of preparing and/or filing an amended return.

Howard1948

dave8921

Thank you! Do you know if this can be done with TurboTax?
Howard1948

If you prepared your original return using TT, you can prepare your amended return using the same program.