turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take for the IRS to accept your return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS will not start processing returns until January 28, except for small handful of returns that the IRS pulls early for testing purposes.   In normal years, a return can be accepted in 24-48 hours once the IRS is processing, sometimes less, and occasionally longer.  But with the partial government shutdown, no one knows yet what will happen when the IRS starts processing on January 28. 

"Accepted" means the IRS agrees that the return was submitted in proper format so they can begin to process it.  "Accepted" and "approved" are 2 different things.

Once your return is accepted, there could still be some extra delay in processing.

In any case, if your return has EIC (earned income credit) or ACTC (additional child tax credit), the IRS by law cannot start releasing those types of refunds until after February 15. 

View solution in original post

14 Replies

The IRS will not start processing returns until January 28, except for small handful of returns that the IRS pulls early for testing purposes.   In normal years, a return can be accepted in 24-48 hours once the IRS is processing, sometimes less, and occasionally longer.  But with the partial government shutdown, no one knows yet what will happen when the IRS starts processing on January 28. 

"Accepted" means the IRS agrees that the return was submitted in proper format so they can begin to process it.  "Accepted" and "approved" are 2 different things.

Once your return is accepted, there could still be some extra delay in processing.

In any case, if your return has EIC (earned income credit) or ACTC (additional child tax credit), the IRS by law cannot start releasing those types of refunds until after February 15. 

This answer is true & factual even if you don't like it.

I hit the no by accident. Never said I didn't like it. No need to be rude!

What I asked is how long does it take to accept for them to acknowledge them as I been waiting
5 days. I could careless about when I will get them.

No one knows when the IRS will start accepting returns this year due to the shutdown ... their announced goal is to start processing them by 1/28 however all dates are subject to change.  You filed before the IRS opened for business so the return is in a holding vat awaiting the IRS arrival to pull the returns.

The soonest your return can be accepted is January 28.  It might take longer due to the backlog.  You will be emailed when they accept or reject your return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you

You should have already had one email saying that the return was successfully submitted (assuming it was.)  There should be a second one later on about accepted/rejected.
If you aren't getting the emails, check your spam/junk folders and check other email accounts, if any.  
You can also check the status by logging back into your account, or by using this efile status check tool:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp">https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efi...>

Filed 18th, accepted 22nd, ddd 1/30

Nope still have pending three weeks later

That's normal for the vast majority of people who filed early.  Except for a few returns that they pulled early, the IRS starts its normal processing on Monday, January 28 as I mentioned in my answer above.   So you should hear something soon after that.  It may or may not be on the 28th, since they will have a huge backlog that first day when they "open the gate" on Monday.   So it could be a day or two later.  

You should get an email when it's accepted or rejected.   You can also check by logging back into your online account or by using this tool:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp">https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efi...>

Just want the excepted so I know everything is right. I dont care about the refund as I dont depend on it. I'm doing fine now without and when it's gone I'm still going to do fine

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.  Good luck.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies