turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ibhasker

I have not gotten my taxes yet, why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS is running behind this year because it is multitasking. It is sending out third stimulus payments at the same time it is trying to process refunds. It's also checking those returns to make sure taxpayers are claiming the correct Recovery Rebate Credit (first two stimulus payments).

A typical tax refund with no issues goes out in 21 days or less. Typically, nine out of 10 refunds filed electronically go out in this time frame.

If there is an issue with a tax return that requires additional review, that can add time for some taxpayers, but it varies depending on the issue

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and ask then to research your refund if it has been more than 21 days. Also check Where’s My Refund?

Related Resources:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

my return was accepted Feb 11... still nothing. why is this? dont tell me they are backed up as friends and family have gotten theirs after return accepted after mine. IRS site zero help.. tells me is processing. cant call IRS as they are not taking calls. Now turbo tax wants paid.. i just want my refund owed to me. 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Could be a number of things.  Did you have unemployment benefits. So to not have to process thousands of amended returns, if you had unemployment benefits the IRS could be holding your return for processing once their systems are updated for the American Rescue Plan Act that excludes the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits if your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000.   

If you have earned income credit and/or additional child tax credit, it is probably delayed. Returns with either of these credits are covered under the PATH act, which gives the IRS authority to delay the refund to verify dependent information on your return. For 2020, the IRS was not issuing refunds for these returns until the 1st week of March at the earliest. 

Do you have any refund offsets such as back taxes, student loans, child support, state obligations (Court costs), etc. This could delay your refund and you will be receiving a notice in the mail.

Did you claim the Recovery Rebate Credit?  The IRS is matching stimulus payments to amounts claimed as Recovery Rebate credit on tax returns.  If you made a mistake, your refund will be adjusted, delayed, and you will receive a notice in the mail.

Keep checking IRS.gov "Where's my Refund" for the most up to date information.

Click here for more information on refund delays.

Manage cookies