I have filed amended returns for the same year twi...

jmacho4444

I have filed amended returns for the same year twice at this point, per the turbotax instructions. Is anyone else having this issue?

I have followed all of the TurboTax instructions, and have filed twice, waiting over eight weeks each time.  The federal government, via the amended return website tracker, has not received either one.  Are the instructions for TurboTax incorrect?  Is anyone else having this issue?  (The amended return is for 2018, and includes the update for mortgage interest)

STOP sending copies ... amended returns are taking 6 months or more to process this year and sending in multiple copies can cause further delays.  Once your envelope is finally opened and the return it entered into the system you can get a progress report here :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

jmacho4444

First of all, thank you so much for the quick reply, @Critter-3 .

I will stop sending copies (I only sent a second copy), but the first copy was sent back in January.  Could it be an 11 month delay in opening the letter I sent?  That seems excessive to say the least.  I understand that the IRS is being swamped with COVID stimulus problems, but again, 11 months seems to be quite a bit of time...  

Again, thank you for the quick response, I am grateful.

Amended returns are normally not addressed until March or later even for prior year returns and due to the covid shut down this year millions of envelopes piled up for months and the IRS is slowly playing catch up with a reduced staff so patience will be needed.  

jmacho4444

Again, I am grateful for your quick reply and explanation.  It all makes complete sense.  

Thank you, again, @Critter-3