d-luke-winter

I had to amend my return. Do I need to wait until I received my refund before I amend it?

I have a refund of about $8k that I haven't received yet, but I need to amend my return.  I will need to write checks to fed/state totaling about $1k.  Do I need to wait for the refund to post to my account before sending my amended return and checks?

Coleen3

You don't have to. The amend process will take some time. Some people prefer to do so, just because they have the money in the bank with which to write those balance due checks and because they know the IRS has fully accepted the information on the return. As long as you amend before 4/18/17, you are good.

Coleen3