Solved: I had an installment agreement with the IRS and sent in my final payment but they still reduced my refund. What do I need to do to get my money back?

I had an installment agreement with the IRS and sent in my final payment but they still reduced my refund. What do I need to do to get my money back?

It sounds like your current Tax Return Refund was processed before the IRS received and processed your final payment.  If this was the case, the IRS should automatically send you a letter and a refund of the overpayment.  This may take a few weeks.  You can also contact the IRS directly at 800-829-1040.

To be sure your refund was offset for taxes you owed the IRS as opposed to a different debt, you can contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) at 800-304-3107.