turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had a baby April 2019-had filed taxes already-only received stims 4 myself last year..on taxes I get the child care credit but nothing about dependent stimulus missed

I had a baby in april but had already filed 2018 taxes..I'm the only parent claiming my son. Last year I only received 1200 for the first check then 600 for the second. When I filed this year I received the child care credit but when I get to the stimulus part and put in my 600 and 1200 it's says that's all I should have received. There's no part to put any missed funds to claim for my son..again he was born in 2019 he should have been eligible...It's only when I reduce these amounts to 0 and 600 does it reflect any change to how much I'm getting back. Does anyone know how to fix this or should I just submit with the altered numbers and hope it just processes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I had a baby April 2019-had filed taxes already-only received stims 4 myself last year..on taxes I get the child care credit but nothing about dependent stimulus missed

Please make sure your child is entered correctly as a dependent with a valid Social Security Number (SSN):

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "My Info" from the left side of your screen
  3. Click “Edit” next to your child's name
  4. Go through the questions and make sure that the box under the SSN is not checked ("Social Security Number is not valid for employment"

Please be aware that the Recovery Rebate Credit is calculated based on your 2020 tax situation.

To be eligible you need to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020 and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.

You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else to be eligible. 

Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above. (IRS FAQ Recovery Rebate Credit )

To claim the credit in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Log into TurboTax.
  2. After entering all your information click "Federal Review" at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount" click "Continue".
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.  If you did not receive a payment enter "0".
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That did not answer my question. My child is already an eligible dependent. I claimed him last year on my taxes and again this year. The information automatically was imported through turbo tax I didn't even have to change anything not even work....I received a child care credit but no stimulus for him. There should have been an additional 1,800 claimable on my taxes but there wasnt. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please be aware that I cannot see the details of your return and I had encountered multiple situations where that box under the SSN was the issue for not getting the stimulus payment for the child. Your child will still show as a dependent on the return and under the "My Info" section but won't qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit and Child Tax Credit if that box is checked.

You stated that you got the Child and Dependent Care Credit but for that credit it does not matter if the child's SSN is valid for employment. 

If you verified that none of this applies and you AGI in 2020 is below the limit then you might have to contact TurboTax for more detailed help: What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies