turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got an inheritance last month of 24,000.. And I was just wondering if I had to claim it on my tax return?

My uncle held on to it for 10 years BC it was split between 5 of us and they just had to transfer it from one account to the other
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

I got an inheritance last month of 24,000.. And I was just wondering if I had to claim it on my tax return?

As a general rule, inheritances are not subject to income tax, and do not get reported on your income tax return.  The exception to that rule is for income in respect of a decedent, so if you inherited a retirement account or some other asset that would been taxed if paid to the deceased, special rules apply.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RichardG

As a general rule, inheritances are not subject to income tax, and do not get reported on your income tax return.  The exception to that rule is for income in respect of a decedent, so if you inherited a retirement account or some other asset that would been taxed if paid to the deceased, special rules apply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies