turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pedro02ff

I got a letter from IRS saying I need to send them 8962 form with copy of 1095-A, What do I have to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got a letter from IRS saying I need to send them 8962 form with copy of 1095-A, What do I have to do?

Assuming your letter from the IRS is a LTR 0012C (see the letter's upper right-hand corner), make sure you read it first.  Here's a guide to understanding it: 

Because your return has already been accepted, in order to complete form 8962, you will have to amend your return. 

How to Amend: 

1. Print out a copy of your original return for your records. 

2. Go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.  It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return). 

How to enter Form 8962: 

1. Go to the Health Insurance section after you have clicked Amend a return

2. When you get to Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016?, answer Yes to A plan that sent or will send a 1095-A

3.  Walk through the rest of the screens to enter your 8962. 

When you're finished, make sure there is an entry on the line for “excess advance premium tax credit repayment” (line 46, Form 1040, or line 29, Form 1040A) or the line for “net premium tax credit” (line 69, Form 1040, or line 45, Form 1040A). 

To check to see if there's an entry on those lines,

1. Go to My Account

2. Go to Tools. 

3. Go to View Tax Summary

4. Go to Preview my 1040. 

Turbo Tax will fill out the 8962 and a newly computed page for you to submit to the IRS.  

You will not be completing and sending a Form 1040X (an amended tax return) to the IRS; you will only print out the requested forms. 

Here's what goes in the package: 

• a copy of your Form 1095A provided by your Marketplace 

• a completed Form 8962 

• a copy of the corrected second page from your original return that shows the “Tax and Credits” and “Payments” sections.

• A copy of the LTR 0012

You can either fax the package to the fax number listed on the letter, or mail to the address on the letter. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Assuming your letter from the IRS is a LTR 0012C (see the letter's upper right-hand corner), make sure you read it first.  Here's a guide to understanding it: 

Because your return has already been accepted, in order to complete form 8962, you will have to amend your return. 

How to Amend: 

1. Print out a copy of your original return for your records. 

2. Go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.  It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return). 

How to enter Form 8962: 

1. Go to the Health Insurance section after you have clicked Amend a return

2. When you get to Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016?, answer Yes to A plan that sent or will send a 1095-A

3.  Walk through the rest of the screens to enter your 8962. 

When you're finished, make sure there is an entry on the line for “excess advance premium tax credit repayment” (line 46, Form 1040, or line 29, Form 1040A) or the line for “net premium tax credit” (line 69, Form 1040, or line 45, Form 1040A). 

To check to see if there's an entry on those lines,

1. Go to My Account

2. Go to Tools. 

3. Go to View Tax Summary

4. Go to Preview my 1040. 

Turbo Tax will fill out the 8962 and a newly computed page for you to submit to the IRS.  

You will not be completing and sending a Form 1040X (an amended tax return) to the IRS; you will only print out the requested forms. 

Here's what goes in the package: 

• a copy of your Form 1095A provided by your Marketplace 

• a completed Form 8962 

• a copy of the corrected second page from your original return that shows the “Tax and Credits” and “Payments” sections.

• A copy of the LTR 0012

You can either fax the package to the fax number listed on the letter, or mail to the address on the letter. 

I got the same thing, have you been provided a refund date yet? I faxed mine in

I received the same letter but the IRS advised not to file amended to just fax forms. I faxed them the next day which was 2 weeks ago friday and still no refund date.
Rashia

What’s is this  how do I get this completed . Since you did charge me months ago . I still have not gotten return 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you purchased insurance through the marketplace and received a 1095-A, that must still be reported on your return.This will calculate the Net Premium Tax Credit on Form 8962. This form reconciles the amount of the credit available to you with the amount already received as an Advance Premium Tax Credit. The result could be additional credit owed to you, or you may have to repay any amount already received in advance. Because of either of these results, it is important for taxpayers to include the information from Form 1095-A on their return.

Follow these steps:

• Click on Add a State to go into your return without amending if you have already filed
  • Click on Deductions & Credits under Federal
  • Under the menu for Medical, click Start/Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  • Answer Yes indicating that you have the form to enter
  • Complete the information on the next screen to match your form and click continue
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
FJMI
Returning Member

Where do we fax these forms can you provide a working fax number please.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The letter you received from the IRS should guide you on how to respond.  If fax is an option a fax number will be included in the letter. Normally, it is found in the top right hand corner of the letter.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies