turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found my past year's taxes but it's 140 pages, How Do I know which pages would be the basic ones to print that would be needed??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I found my past year's taxes but it's 140 pages, How Do I know which pages would be the basic ones to print that would be needed??

Your basic federal forms are 1040 and any schedules.  To print the pages needed from the pdf, you would need to go through and print only the pages that are not worksheets.  That might be pretty labor intensive because the file you found has all the government and TurboTax worksheets.   That is how older returns are stored on TurboTax.  

One alterative would be to go to the IRS website and get a transcript of your return.  Always make a backup of your tax return and keep it with your records, so you avoid this in the future.

@joshuapeters1922   A general rule of thumb to help guide you is that the return consists of the Form 1040 plus any forms and schedules that have an "Attachment Sequence Number" in the top right corner.   Occasionally, but less commonly, someone may have additionally prepared an optional "supporting statement" to go with a form.

You said "past year's taxes."  If you are referring to an Online return prior to 2020, then at this point in time you only have one choice of PDF available at the Tax Home for a prior-year return, which is most often the large one as @DanPaul02 mentioned above.   

For future reference, however, you can plan ahead when you save your current 2020 return for your records.  For your current 2020 return, you have a choice of PDFs that you can get by opening the return and going to the Print Center.   We can tell you how to do that.   At the Print Center you can choose from 

"Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"

You would need to do this before the October 2021 online shutdown, since after that point in time only the large PDF is available.

I usually save 2 PDFs for my records:   a PDF with the return "as filed" and the largest PDF with all of the TurboTax and government worksheets.   It's also possible to save the tax data file, if you wish.  But see the following caution:

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies