turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I change the filer and spouse's names around, so my husband is the filer (filing jointly)? I have already entered our info int the return.

I tried to edit this but it did not assign us correctly to our schedule C's and Health Insurance form.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

How do I change the filer and spouse's names around, so my husband is the filer (filing jointly)? I have already entered our info int the return.

In the personal information you can change your names around, meaning you can make your husband the taxpayer and you the spouse or vice versa.  Select "My Info" (online) or "Personal Info" (desktop) and make the change.

CAUTION: It's important to check and/or change the owner of each type of income (W2s, and other types of income). To answer the health insurance questions it doesn't matter who is listed first on the return.

To assign the correct person to your Schedule C, you have the option of choosing who operates/owns the business.

• Search for schedule C, then use the "Jump to" link, select edit beside the business, next select edit beside "General Info" to view the "person who did this work". 
  • Click the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

In the personal information you can change your names around, meaning you can make your husband the taxpayer and you the spouse or vice versa.  Select "My Info" (online) or "Personal Info" (desktop) and make the change.

CAUTION: It's important to check and/or change the owner of each type of income (W2s, and other types of income). To answer the health insurance questions it doesn't matter who is listed first on the return.

To assign the correct person to your Schedule C, you have the option of choosing who operates/owns the business.

• Search for schedule C, then use the "Jump to" link, select edit beside the business, next select edit beside "General Info" to view the "person who did this work". 
  • Click the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

I found I had to go into the forms to make these changes on desktop version.  After changing personal info I could use the checkboxes to select taxpayer or spouse on w2 1099 and schedule c.  My changes weren’t saved and I had to redo it alll. I found I had to be sure to close all the forms before being asked to save file. Thank you

ORDER OF NAMES ON A JOINT RETURN  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901551-does-the-order-of-the-names-on-a-joint-return-matter">http...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies