Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed taxes in the wrong state how can I correct this?

I just found out I've been filing taxes in the wrong state. I'm military and I've move a few times which has caused me some confusion. I thought I was supposed to file taxes based on the state I was in. Recently I found documentation stating my state of residency is South Carolina. How do I correct the returns I've submitted in the past to make them reflect SC? How can I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

If you were a resident of South Carolina when you entered the military, you remain an SC resident for tax purposes even when you are stationed outside South Carolina due to military orders.  South Carolina is your State of Legal Residence (SLR).   

If you wanted to change your SLR, you'd have to fill out a form DD-2058 and submit it through your pay office or admin office for processing. Changes to your state of legal residence may not be made retroactively.

As an SC resident, you are required to file an SC tax return every year.  But your active duty military pay is not taxable by any other state.

Therefore, it sounds like you have to file an SC return for each of the years you missed.  And an amended return for each year in each state in which you filed by mistake.

This is a big chore and I personally think you'd be better off seeking the services of a professional tax preparer or accountant, rather than doing it all by yourself.

Finally, be aware that it's only your active duty military pay that is exempt from income tax in other states.  Any non-military income you had in another state would be taxable by that state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

If you were a resident of South Carolina when you entered the military, you remain an SC resident for tax purposes even when you are stationed outside South Carolina due to military orders.  South Carolina is your State of Legal Residence (SLR).   

If you wanted to change your SLR, you'd have to fill out a form DD-2058 and submit it through your pay office or admin office for processing. Changes to your state of legal residence may not be made retroactively.

As an SC resident, you are required to file an SC tax return every year.  But your active duty military pay is not taxable by any other state.

Therefore, it sounds like you have to file an SC return for each of the years you missed.  And an amended return for each year in each state in which you filed by mistake.

This is a big chore and I personally think you'd be better off seeking the services of a professional tax preparer or accountant, rather than doing it all by yourself.

Finally, be aware that it's only your active duty military pay that is exempt from income tax in other states.  Any non-military income you had in another state would be taxable by that state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies