turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes last year. But didn't include a business that had not started. IRS is charging me about $500 or file the return. What can I do?

I registered the business but didn't start operating. So,how do I file tax return on that,when I already filed last year ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I filed my taxes last year. But didn't include a business that had not started. IRS is charging me about $500 or file the return. What can I do?

what is the tax status of the business - sole-proprietorship or single-member LLC, multimember LLC or partnership, S or C corporation.

It's a single member LLC. 

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

This sounds like you made a taxing election for the LLC to be considered either a C or an S corporation for tax purposes, (because if you didn't, it's a disregarded entity, sole proprietorship, and I've never heard of the IRS asking for a Schedule C of $0 to be filed in this scenario).  If you did make such an election, you would want to file the corresponding return, either an 1120-S or an 1120.  It won't have any income, but there are still details to report on the return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When you got the EIN the IRS confirmation notice told you what form you had to file and when ... what exactly does that notice say?    

Yes, you are right. Yes, it's an S-corporation. Thank you.

Form 2553,Election by a small business corporation. 

Crud ... you are VERY late.  A return MUST be filed every year by 3/15   until you close the business.  File the form now ASAP  and beg forgiveness from the penalty and promise to never do it again.  

Ok,thank you.

Apart from Form 2553, do I have to add Form - 1120s? Also,what about the F&E minimum tax return, that I have to pay $100?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies