miamialott

I filed for 2018 instead of 2019

I filed for 2018 instead of 2019

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

miamialott

I filed for 2018 instead of 2019

it’s been accepted an turbo tax says you can ammend online i don’t have time to wait to amend idc how long the money takes to get here i just need to know it’s coming so when can i amend

TerukoL
Employee TurboTax Specialist

I filed for 2018 instead of 2019

As stated by xmasbaby0 above, you will need to wait until the IRS has fully processed your return and you have received your refund before you can amend it.  Please click How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? to learn more.