turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed 1040 instead of 1040 NR in 2018 and received stimulus check. How do I change previous years returns? How do I return the stimulus?

I cannot log in to turbo tax and have no data whatsoever to input taxes correctly, ie: W2. I cannot call anyone as I live outside the US
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

I filed 1040 instead of 1040 NR in 2018 and received stimulus check. How do I change previous years returns? How do I return the stimulus?

TurboTax does partner with Sprinttax for both federal and state 1040NR filing.  You will use Form 1040X to prepare your amendment.

Only demographic information (name, address, SSN) should be entered on page 1 of the 1040-X when completing for a 1040NR. The remaining lines of the 1040X page 1, and page 2 parts 1 and 2 will remain blank. An explanation of changes should be entered in part 3. The changes are then reflected on the new or corrected 1040NR return with 'AMENDED' printed at the top of the form.  

Complete the Form 1040NR as if it were the original return.  Include the Form 1040X and your original 1040, also I would advise sending a statement about the stimulus payments you received. Determine if you have a balance due, break even or additional refund based on netting the results using both original 1040 and the 1040NR.

This Sprintax blog will be helpful to explain what to do with the stimulus payment you received in error. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have no idea whatsoever about the American tax system and guys from my company helped me file online at the time. The issue is that I do not have access to my original filing, which I did in 2018 on turbotax. How can I make any amendments if I have no details about the original? Can I request this from the IRS somehow?

I was on a visa and no longer live there (left 2018) so I'm finding it very difficult to contact my bank, turbotax and the IRS.

Found information about how to return the stimulus but again very difficult to do from outside the US.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

Access IRS Get Transcript at this webpage.  You may request online or by mail.  There are different transcript types but you probably want the Tax Return Transcript.

IRS form 4506-T Request for Transcript of Tax Return can be used to request by mail.

Overseas callers to the IRS can use these phone lines.

What information have you retained about your 2018 tax filing with TurboTax?

If you do not know your TurboTax account User ID or password, you may be able to use the Account Recovery process.

If you no longer have access to your email address or phone number, you may need to fill out a form and submit it to TurboTax.

Please see this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies