Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grindel1

I entered the wrong Broker name into Turbo Tax. I can't get to it now to change it. Help please. Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I entered the wrong Broker name into Turbo Tax. I can't get to it now to change it. Help please. Thanks

To change the name of your broker,

• In the Search window, Type "Form 1099-B"
  • Click on "Jump to form 1099-b"
  • For the Broker you would like to rename, click on "Delete"
  • Click on Add an Account and go through the interview to add/download your broker

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

To change the name of your broker,

• In the Search window, Type "Form 1099-B"
  • Click on "Jump to form 1099-b"
  • For the Broker you would like to rename, click on "Delete"
  • Click on Add an Account and go through the interview to add/download your broker
bondzinho

That's not how to change the name - that's how to delete all your info and start over.

What if you've entered dozens of things and you need to change just the name!!!!?????

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax online there is no way to change the name of the brokerage firm after it has been entered.  The only option would be start over and that would, unfortunately, involve deleting your original entry.  

In TurboTax desktop you can change the name of your brokerage firm after you have entered such information.  If you are interested in changing to TurboTax desktop, here is a link to a TurboTax article that will show you have to make such a move.

How to Switch Form TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download

@bondzinho

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You said: "In TurboTax desktop you can change the name of your brokerage firm after you have entered such information. "  I'm in TurboTax Desktop and I can't find a way to rename my brokerage without deleting everything and starting over.  That would eliminate thousands of transactions and many days of work which I can't afford to repeat.  What is the process for changing ONLY the name of the brokerage?  Note that it forced to me to name it without telling me anything about what was in it so it is a super-easy mistake to make.  In fact, it's almost by design that it forces you to make that mistake.  How do I fix it?

After looking around a bit, I went into Forms in TurboTax Desktop.  In the list on the left, I chose my Form 1099-B with the wrong name.  Then the form came up on the right.  I changed the name to correct it directly in the form and when I clicked away from it, the name changed in the list on the left as well.  When I went back to the step-by-step, the correction came through.  I wanted to mention this in case others were having trouble figuring out how to change that name.  Since the dialog walks you through changing it from UNKNOWN without any additional information, it would nice to have rename feature in the step-by-step.

This answer from mecorusfc is the actual best answer.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies