I entered my HSA info incorrectly and now I can't ...

nephi913

I entered my HSA info incorrectly and now I can't change the data entry.

ErnieS0

Are you trying to change HSA contributions or distributions (Form 1099-SA)?

HSA contribution amounts come from your W-2, Box 12, Code W. There is also a place in the Form 1099-SA section where TurboTax asks if you made any contributions outside of work.

To fix your HSA entries:

• Type 1099-sa in Search in the upper right
  • Select Jump to 1099-sa
  • Health Savings Account will be checked on Tell us about the health-related accounts you had in 2020. Continue.
  • Edit your 1099-SA

This is your Form 1099-SA. If you made a mistake here, you can change those numbers.

• Otherwise keep going until you see Did [You] put money into an HSA in 2020?
  • Say Yes.
  • You will see Let's enter [Your] HSA contributions. You can't change the 2020 employer and payroll contributions here. To fix this, change Box 12, Code W on your W-2.
  • You can change Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer). Do not enter any amounts unless you sent money directly to your HSA.
gbesses

It will not let me change the data. I have done the steps you have suggested. How do I change data incorrectly entered?

HeatherPLO

@besses:  Please advise what exactly you are trying to change.  Someone will reach out with additional details.  

gbesses

I could not find an exact question that fits mine. So, what I entered was a Pension plan contribution in my personal expenses, when I had (and it was correct to do so) entered it as a business expense. In trying to edit my way out of the double contribution, I went back and unmarked all of the required boxes and amounts, but it still shows as a contribution. What do I do now?

BillM223

@gbesses

Does you situation have anything to do with an HSA?

"I entered was a Pension plan contribution in my personal expenses" Was this a contribution to a pension plan or to an HSA?

"when I had (and it was correct to do so) entered it as a business expense" What contribution was what kind of business expense?

it still shows as a contribution." What shows as a contribution and where?

Please do us a favor and start over again from scratch because we don't know what you are referring to. Remember that we cannot see your private tax data, so please help us help you.

bawward

An amount was incorrectly entered in on the field "Employer contributions made to your HSAs for 2020" when in fact it should have been $0.00 for that field. How do I correct this?