The IRS instructions for that form are:
If your parents were unmarried, treated as unmarried for federal income tax purposes, or separated by either a divorce or separate maintenance decree, enter the name and SSN of the parent with whom you resided for the greater part of the calendar year.
So it doesn’t matter who claims you but rather who you lived with the most nights.
In view of the above do you still have to change your return?
You may have to step through the questions to remove unnecessary information and/or you may want to delete form 8615.
To step through the form 8615 questions, do the following:
- Down the left side, click Tax Tools.
- Click Tools.
- Click Topic Search.
- Under I'm looking for, type 8615 and click Go
Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:
- In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
- In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
- Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.
"Expert Alumni RobertG"
Additional help here.
Thank you. I did not mention that I have turbo tax home and business.
For others with this issue or wanting to view other forms, I found that you can go to View>>Forms. From there, I could see and edit form 8615. You select view>>step by step to get back.