dan11

I e-filed yesterday but forgot a important item in my deductions. How do I change my return. I do not see an option for amending or changing my return

KarenJ

Please make sure that you used itemized deductions on your return. If you used the standard deduction, you do not need to amend your return unless the deduction you forgot to add increases the potential itemized deductions to be higher than the standard deduction.

If the IRS accepts your E-filed return, then you must WAIT until the IRS has processed your return. If you have a refund due your return is not processed until you have received your refund. If you owe taxes, your refund is not processed until you have paid those taxes and your payment has cleared your financial institution. Once processing is complete, you will need to file an amended return. You cannot e-file an amended return.  You have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and mail it to the IRS.

KarenJ