Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did my VT state return tax awhile back. I wanted to see if I could redo it, as there is a discrepancy in the answers inputted then and now.

I originally wanted to do the Renter rebate for VT, so I preemptively inputted the information with my roommate, however he now notes to me he is listed as a dependent on another taxpayer's return.
I will notify the state department of taxes to see if it is possible to reimburse just my portion of the renter rebate, however I would like to know if it is possible to redo my state tax in the case that VT state department of taxes does not allow reimbursement of renter rebate since my roommate is not independent. I ask to see if I can do a redo to make filing the state tax more easier than having my try to figure out what to write on a paper version of the state form for refund.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I did my VT state return tax awhile back. I wanted to see if I could redo it, as there is a discrepancy in the answers inputted then and now.

We understand your question; and the solution it seems (to us) would be to file an amended Vermont state tax return to address the issue of the renter rebate.  If you additionally claimed your roommate as a dependent on your federal income tax return, then you would want to file an amended federal tax return too (along with Vermont state).  Otherwise, you can create just an amended return for Vermont alone:  it is possible to do this in TurboTax.

But before you fill out or send any amended tax return, please know that you'll need to first wait until your original return is processed, and your original tax refund is sent to you (that admonition applies to both federal and state returns).  To do otherwise only invites hassles, problems, and an unnecessary chain of correspondence back-and-forth with the revenue authorities.

After that time, however, you can print and mail in your amended return(s).  And yes, amended tax returns must always be printed on paper and physically mailed; they cannot be e-filed (unlike original tax returns).

For further instructions on amending tax returns in TurboTax, please find below a link to a TurboTax webpage for the current year amendment process.  We will keep that page updated throughout the tax filing season.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax 

You can also see the following webpage for additional information on amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

In addition, you may wish to look at this short AnswerXchange post.  It is from last tax season, and asks about amending a tax return for the state of Wisconsin (not Vermont); but it demonstrates that amending just a state (and not a federal tax return along with it) is possible using TurboTax.  Again, although the mention there is for Wisconsin, and discusses the last tax year, the same basic principles and processes apply to the current tax year, and to Vermont amended state tax returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3063607-can-i-amend-my-state-return-only-online-via-turbotax

Thanks for asking this question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

We understand your question; and the solution it seems (to us) would be to file an amended Vermont state tax return to address the issue of the renter rebate.  If you additionally claimed your roommate as a dependent on your federal income tax return, then you would want to file an amended federal tax return too (along with Vermont state).  Otherwise, you can create just an amended return for Vermont alone:  it is possible to do this in TurboTax.

But before you fill out or send any amended tax return, please know that you'll need to first wait until your original return is processed, and your original tax refund is sent to you (that admonition applies to both federal and state returns).  To do otherwise only invites hassles, problems, and an unnecessary chain of correspondence back-and-forth with the revenue authorities.

After that time, however, you can print and mail in your amended return(s).  And yes, amended tax returns must always be printed on paper and physically mailed; they cannot be e-filed (unlike original tax returns).

For further instructions on amending tax returns in TurboTax, please find below a link to a TurboTax webpage for the current year amendment process.  We will keep that page updated throughout the tax filing season.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax 

You can also see the following webpage for additional information on amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

In addition, you may wish to look at this short AnswerXchange post.  It is from last tax season, and asks about amending a tax return for the state of Wisconsin (not Vermont); but it demonstrates that amending just a state (and not a federal tax return along with it) is possible using TurboTax.  Again, although the mention there is for Wisconsin, and discusses the last tax year, the same basic principles and processes apply to the current tax year, and to Vermont amended state tax returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3063607-can-i-amend-my-state-return-only-online-via-turbotax

Thanks for asking this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies