I chose direct deposit option to get my federal and state tax refund, but they sent me a check instead of direct deposit. Why?

For the federal tax refund go to the website for IRS tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

I requested a direct deposit refund. Why are you mailing it to me as a paper check?

There are three possible reasons. They are as follows:

• We can only deposit refunds electronically into accounts in your own name, your spouse's name or in a joint account.
  • A financial institution may reject a direct deposit.
  • We can’t deposit more than three electronic refunds into a single financial account.

I just received the letter from IRS saying "The financial institution did not honor the deposit request. We will be sending you a check instead." That is why I received a check.

Did you try to deposit it into someone else's account?  That's a No No.

No, I did not.

Only the IRS can tell you why they sent you a check instead of a direct deposit.   But if you had a wrong or closed account number or wrong routing number entered in your information, the bank refused the deposit and sent it back to the IRS.   Then the IRS mailed you a check instead.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...