Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I chose direct deposit option to get my federal and state tax refund, but they sent me a check instead of direct deposit. Why?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I chose direct deposit option to get my federal and state tax refund, but they sent me a check instead of direct deposit. Why?

For the federal tax refund go to the website for IRS tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

I requested a direct deposit refund. Why are you mailing it to me as a paper check?

There are three possible reasons. They are as follows:

• We can only deposit refunds electronically into accounts in your own name, your spouse's name or in a joint account.
  • A financial institution may reject a direct deposit.
  • We can’t deposit more than three electronic refunds into a single financial account.

I just received the letter from IRS saying "The financial institution did not honor the deposit request. We will be sending you a check instead." That is why I received a check.

Did you try to deposit it into someone else's account?  That's a No No.

No, I did not.

Only the IRS can tell you why they sent you a check instead of a direct deposit.   But if you had a wrong or closed account number or wrong routing number entered in your information, the bank refused the deposit and sent it back to the IRS.   Then the IRS mailed you a check instead.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies