turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I chose direct deposit option to get my federal and state tax refund, but they sent me a check instead of direct deposit. Why?

5 Replies

I chose direct deposit option to get my federal and state tax refund, but they sent me a check instead of direct deposit. Why?

For the federal tax refund go to the website for IRS tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

I requested a direct deposit refund. Why are you mailing it to me as a paper check?

There are three possible reasons. They are as follows:

• We can only deposit refunds electronically into accounts in your own name, your spouse's name or in a joint account.
  • A financial institution may reject a direct deposit.
  • We can’t deposit more than three electronic refunds into a single financial account.

I just received the letter from IRS saying "The financial institution did not honor the deposit request. We will be sending you a check instead." That is why I received a check.

Did you try to deposit it into someone else's account?  That's a No No.

No, I did not.

Only the IRS can tell you why they sent you a check instead of a direct deposit.   But if you had a wrong or closed account number or wrong routing number entered in your information, the bank refused the deposit and sent it back to the IRS.   Then the IRS mailed you a check instead.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies