Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I believe I made the wrong trader/investor selection when filing 2022 taxes. Is there a way to change status for 2023 to do mark to market accounting on gains/losses?

In 2023, I started day trading full-time, and so it would be best for me to use mark to market accounting, however I didn't make the change by 4/15. Is there a way to correct this? I read online about "9100 relief" but that seems to cost over 10,000 with an uncertain outcome. Thank you!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I believe I made the wrong trader/investor selection when filing 2022 taxes. Is there a way to change status for 2023 to do mark to market accounting on gains/losses?

Sorry ... too late to make the election for the 2023 return ... try again next year. 

@ruesterholz  A taxpayer requested a private letter ruling  trying to make a late 475(f) election using REG SEC 301.9100. It was denied. here's the link 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/202037007.pdf 

In my opinion, based on what it says, if you requested it, I believe that you too would be denied.  If you think that your situation is different find a tax pro and get their opinion. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies