turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my MO state return because of unemployment benefits/American Rescue plan. Federal was rejected. Do I need to amend Federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

I amended my MO state return because of unemployment benefits/American Rescue plan. Federal was rejected. Do I need to amend Federal?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Was your federal return ever accepted?  If not, you just need to file your federal return as it has not been filed yet.

See the link below to determine if your federal return was accepted as originally filed.

How to check your e-file status

If it was accepted, you do not need to do anything if you are only amending for the unemployment benefit change that occurred during the tax season.  The IRS will automatically be issuing refunds based upon the amounts reported on your tax return as filed.

IRS refunds on unemployment benefits

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Both federal and Missouri were originally accepted.

When I amended Missouri, the federal came back as rejected. I guess I didn't realize I was amending both?

But, it sounds like I do not need to worry about the federal amendment (even though it was rejected). I could not E-file for Missouri.  

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No, you don't need to worry and it sounds like your original returns were filed and accepted. 

As such, you don't need to amend your federal return since the IRS will automatically be making the adjustments and issuing refunds for the unemployment income that is no longer taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am trying to e-file my amended MO return but system will not permit sending only state return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies