Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my 22 tax return in Feb because I forgot to add the stimulus for my new baby. It has been accepted since February. How long will it take to be distributed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I amended my 22 tax return in Feb because I forgot to add the stimulus for my new baby. It has been accepted since February. How long will it take to be distributed?

Amended returns take about 6 months (or more) to process.

First you amended the 2021 return ... 2022 will not be filed until Jan of 2023.

Next, amended returns are taking 6 months to a year to process so patience will be needed ... check here once a week for a progress report :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

You must mean your 2021 return--since no one will file a 2022 return until next year in 2023.   If your child was born in 2021 then you should have received the 3rd stimulus amount of $1400 for the child on line 30 of your 2021 Form 1040.   Did you claim your child as a dependent on the tax return?   If you did then that $1400 should have gone to line 30 automatically---so look at the tax form.  The stimulus money does not come as a separate check.   It is part of your tax refund, and calculates down to line 35a.   If you have a child born in 2021 you should also be getting the child tax credit of $3600 which will be on line 28.   

Before you start thinking you "forgot to claim" a credit---look over your Form 1040.    

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number.    Careful— do not say that your child’s SSN is not valid for employment.  If your child was born in 2021make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

If you filed without claiming your child correctly then you need to wait for the return to be fully processed and then amend it, but do not do that until it has been fully processed.

And....how did you file?   Did you e-file or did you mail the return?   If you mailed it, you are still waiting because the IRS is taking six to nine months to process mailed returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@whittyblake630 -

what is on LIne 30 of Form 1040? 

what is on Line 28 of Form 1040?

if you listed your child as a dependent, the stimulus should already be on Line 30 and the child tax credit of $3600 should already be on Line 28. 

let us know!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies