neil4tt

I amended a previously amended return for CY2021 (previous amendment was already accepted). Why TTax does not proceed to efile - says the new return is already accepted?

I am using Windows desktop TT Home & Business. I would have expected a series of screens walking me to confirm the transmission of the new amended return, but after the Final Steps, simply says that both returns are accepted!

You might have to mail subsequent amendments.  And you should wait to amend again until the first one is processed and you get any refund from it.

neil4tt

Yes, the previous one was accepted. So, looks like an efile is not possible any more... Thanks.

You need to wait for the first amendment has been PROCESSED by the IRS not just accepted for processing.  Only then should you file the second amended return  AND  you will have to mail it in. 

Mike9241

note that the time it will take the IRS to process the second amendment and mail a refund is not known for certain. It could take 6 months or more since it is severely behind in processing mailed returns.  

neil4tt

The amendment is for a corrected 1099-DIV that I received, which is just a few tens of dollars different from the original, and the tax impact is also just $20+ or so (that I have to pay). Any idea if I just simply skip paying this and if the IRS wants to send me a notice to pay later, I will do so (perhaps including some interest due etc.). This could potentially save me the effort to print out tens and tens of pages to mail this return manually, since it looks like efile is not an option for an amendment of an amended return. Any downsides to not doing this at all?

fanfare

Did you start your second amendment in the proper manner ?

IRS says:

you can e-File 1040-X up to three times for 2021 taxes.

Contact TurboTax Support to know what TurboTax will do for you.

@neil4tt 

neil4tt

In fact, I had read somewhere that you can efile three times, which I why I attempted. [FYI, my original return was filed on time, and the first amended return was filed in early June. In both cases I owed money which I sent via ACH and confirmed it was withdrawn. In both cases, I got a notice that the return was accepted. I don't have a way to tell if the return was "processed", and wonder if TT can figure this out even].

I do not know what "starting in a proper manner" exactly is.  But, this is what I did:  After opening TT, I clicked on Amend a return, and then picked the previously amended return file to start/amend from (as this had the latest changes). Then simply went through the step by step for the relatively minor changes to my 1099-DIV till I got stumped. See any issue with this?

fanfare

As a first step, you probably had to cancel the first amendment and delete the Form 1040-X.

That might do the trick.

@neil4tt 

fanfare

to file a 1040-X you don't need tens and tens of pages.

Include any new/corrected tax document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered IRS forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

@neil4tt 

neil4tt

Hmmm.... I will try by just deleting the 1040-X form, but let all the other updates from the previous amending stay there. Worth a try. Thanks.

neil4tt

OK that's a good point. I was relying on TT which had all the forms and the entire tax return in that file including the -X form. Thanks.