Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to see my tax return before submitting it. However when I click to view my tax forms, the next page is stuck at "Preparing your documents"

The message on the browser tab says "Preparing your documents. This may take a few moments." and I see no activity even after 30 mins.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

I am trying to see my tax return before submitting it. However when I click to view my tax forms, the next page is stuck at "Preparing your documents"

You may need to clear your cache and cookies. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account, and try entering your information again. You may also want to change browsers, for example, if you are using Chrome, try switching to Firefox.

In addition to clearing your cache and cookies, you want to make sure your operating systems are up-to-date as well.

However, if this does not resolve your issue, please note the exact message and where you are encountering that message in the program.  We will work with you toward a resolution to file your return accurately. Please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jsusanp

I had that happen yesterday, talked to a representative, got nowhere.  I had already followed the steps you listed above.  After much discussion and updating of my browser, I suddenly found it behind other windows on my screen.  The rep cold not tell me what had happened, as he and I could not find it anywhere before that.  

As I completed a return for anothe person today, the same thing happened again.  There is a bug in the system here, and I would never recommend your product to anyone who was looking for a simple way to file taxes.  

Yes ... the PDF of the return is opened in the PDF reader NOT the TT program itself.     I am glad you finally found the window with the return in  it  buried behind other windows ... always look at the menu bar at the bottom of the screen to see all the windows you have open since many things can hide. 

jsusanp

Today when I did the same thing for a different return, there was no PDF on the screen anywhere, and I waited a long time.  There  must be a step that I missed, even though I follower the directions on the screen. 

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2019 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

You can view the Form 1040 for free at any time during preparation prior to paying and filing:

• Open your return, and in the left menu column, choose TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window, choose View Tax Summary.
  • When the Tax Summary opens, look in the left menu column and choose Preview My 1040.

Or you can pay in advance to view/print the Form 1040 and all forms and worksheets prior to filing.  Here's how:

• Open your return, and in the left menu column, choose Tax Tools, then Print Center.
  • Then choose "Print/save/preview this year's return." 
  • On the next screen choose to "Pay now".
  • The next screen should be an Order Summary.  Review that, and if all is OK, click Continue.
  • It should then prompt you for payment by credit or debit card.  The screen only says "credit card", but it will take a debit card.

NOTE:  If it should offer you the option to "pay later" out of the Federal refund, that can't be used for this purpose.  You will need to pay now by credit/debit card in order to download/print prior to filing.

In my case the issue was resolved by logging into turbo tax from an incognito window. Clearing the cache and even changing laptops didn't help. So my assumption is that there is some chrome extension which breaks turbo tax. In any case, incognito browser window allowed me to print the returns.

ssaxet1

so wtfo

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Sounds like your computer may be experiencing a loop.  Let's clear your cookies, history and cache' then reboot.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

Related Information:

@ssaxet1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies