Solved: I am trying to find out how to get a hold of the irs to talk to a person. I still have not gotten my federal return back and they said after 8 weeks to contact them

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebekah_rose1957

I am trying to find out how to get a hold of the irs to talk to a person. I still have not gotten my federal return back and they said after 8 weeks to contact them

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Lisa995
Level 12

I am trying to find out how to get a hold of the irs to talk to a person. I still have not gotten my federal return back and they said after 8 weeks to contact them

I have these instructions saved from a prior year, the prompts may have changed, but you should get the general idea of how to work the telephone tree to get to a human.....don't choose Refund information, it will just take you to automated refund info and you already have that from the website.

Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 weekdays from 7am to 7pm local time.

At the first prompt press 1 for English.

At the next menu press 2 for questions about your personal income taxes.

At the next menu press 1 for questions about a form you have already submitted, your tax history, or payment.

At the next menu press 4 for all other questions about your tax history or payment.

At the next menu press 2 for all other questions about your tax history or payment.

There will be a brief pause. When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything. After it asks twice, you will get another menu. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It will then put you in the queue for a live agent, and tell you the estimated wait time.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Lisa995
Level 12

I have these instructions saved from a prior year, the prompts may have changed, but you should get the general idea of how to work the telephone tree to get to a human.....don't choose Refund information, it will just take you to automated refund info and you already have that from the website.

Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 weekdays from 7am to 7pm local time.

At the first prompt press 1 for English.

At the next menu press 2 for questions about your personal income taxes.

At the next menu press 1 for questions about a form you have already submitted, your tax history, or payment.

At the next menu press 4 for all other questions about your tax history or payment.

At the next menu press 2 for all other questions about your tax history or payment.

There will be a brief pause. When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything. After it asks twice, you will get another menu. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It will then put you in the queue for a live agent, and tell you the estimated wait time.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings