Solved: I am missing a w-2 from a company at which I only ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am missing a w-2 from a company at which I only made $900. We have everything else in order and are in desperate need for our tax return. The company said we would not receive our w-2 for another 21

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I am missing a w-2 from a company at which I only made $900. We have everything else in order and are in desperate need for our tax return. The company said we would not receive our w-2 for another 21

There a couple things you can do.  One is you can file your return, then when you get your missing W-2 you can amend your return to file the W-2.  The thing about that is the IRS gets copies of all W-2's so they might send you a letter asking for the missing information before they finish processing your return.  Also, amended returns must be mailed & they can take up to 16 weeks to be processed.

The other thing you can do, is follow the steps below:

What if it's February but I still don't have my W-2?

If it's early in the month, sit tight. Employers have until January 31 to mail out W-2s, which means your W-2 should arrive any day now.

While you're waiting, here's some things you can do:

• Ask your employer when they mailed out their W-2s.
  • Did your employer mail your W-2 to an old address? If so, ask them to re-send it to the new one.
  • See if you can import your W-2.

If you haven't received your W-2 by February 14, it's time to take action:

1. Grab your last 2019 pay stub and call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
  2. The IRS will ask you for some info before following up with your employer.
  3. After notifying the IRS, you can either continue waiting for your W-2 or paper-file your return using Form 4852 and your last pay stub.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

There a couple things you can do.  One is you can file your return, then when you get your missing W-2 you can amend your return to file the W-2.  The thing about that is the IRS gets copies of all W-2's so they might send you a letter asking for the missing information before they finish processing your return.  Also, amended returns must be mailed & they can take up to 16 weeks to be processed.

The other thing you can do, is follow the steps below:

What if it's February but I still don't have my W-2?

If it's early in the month, sit tight. Employers have until January 31 to mail out W-2s, which means your W-2 should arrive any day now.

While you're waiting, here's some things you can do:

• Ask your employer when they mailed out their W-2s.
  • Did your employer mail your W-2 to an old address? If so, ask them to re-send it to the new one.
  • See if you can import your W-2.

If you haven't received your W-2 by February 14, it's time to take action:

1. Grab your last 2019 pay stub and call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
  2. The IRS will ask you for some info before following up with your employer.
  3. After notifying the IRS, you can either continue waiting for your W-2 or paper-file your return using Form 4852 and your last pay stub.

View solution in original post

v
Privacy Settings