turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

claudia

I am currently doing a fellowship outside of the country, and I am not able to access my W-2 forms to complete my taxes, is there any other way of getting the information?

I only worked less than 3 months for that job during 2016
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am currently doing a fellowship outside of the country, and I am not able to access my W-2 forms to complete my taxes, is there any other way of getting the information?

W-2s are mailed by January 31.  Some employers make their W-2s available online, and some employers make their W-2s available as direct import into Turbotax. 

Check with your employer.  If you don't have online access or access through turbotax, you might be able to have a friend forward your mail to you.

Otherwise, at the beginning of April, if you are unable to prepare your tax return, you can file a request for an automatic extension that extends the filing deadline to October 15.  This does not extend the deadline to pay by April 15 if you owe, so you will need to prepare an estimate and pay taxes if it looks like you owe them.  When you submit your actual return by the new deadline, if you overpaid your estimate, you will get a refund.  If you expect a refund, you do not have to pay tax with the request for extension.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Where does your mail get delivered?  Contact that employer, and ask them to send it  to you (or a trusted family member in the US).

W-2s are mailed by January 31.  Some employers make their W-2s available online, and some employers make their W-2s available as direct import into Turbotax. 

Check with your employer.  If you don't have online access or access through turbotax, you might be able to have a friend forward your mail to you.

Otherwise, at the beginning of April, if you are unable to prepare your tax return, you can file a request for an automatic extension that extends the filing deadline to October 15.  This does not extend the deadline to pay by April 15 if you owe, so you will need to prepare an estimate and pay taxes if it looks like you owe them.  When you submit your actual return by the new deadline, if you overpaid your estimate, you will get a refund.  If you expect a refund, you do not have to pay tax with the request for extension.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies