Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am apparently a "corporation"? Help!

I filed my personal taxes and included all my business information on Schedule C. The IRS is telling me that I am an S-corporation and that I have to file corporate income tax and redo my personal taxes. I don't even know where to begin. One IRS person told me that I am already 3 months behind on filing the corporate tax form so I can anticipate large fines and penalties. I am just a person with one 1099 client, soon to be zero. I don't know what this S-corporation business is all about.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are not going to seek help from a local professional and you are going to clear up this mess yourself ...

Step 1 -  when you applied for the EIN you must have chosen the S-Corp option which requires you to file an 1120-S form not just a Sch C on the from 1040.  Check the IRS notice you should have received telling you this. 

Step 2 - file the 1120-S as required then when the IRS sends the penalty notice ask for forgiveness siting your ignorance  of the requirement ... they usually forgive you the fist time you file late.  

Step 3  -  amend the personal return adding the K-1 form from the 1120-S and remove the incorrect Sch C. 

The 1120-S requires the TT Business program to complete it :  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did you set up a Single Member LLC or get an EIN number?  You must have checked a box on a form for S corp.  You should probably go to a local CPA or accountant and see what to do.

My Maine paperwork says that I am a single-member LLC. I'm having trouble finding anyone local who does this kind of work. But maybe it doesn't need to be someone local? I live in a remote area. 

If you are not going to seek help from a local professional and you are going to clear up this mess yourself ...

Step 1 -  when you applied for the EIN you must have chosen the S-Corp option which requires you to file an 1120-S form not just a Sch C on the from 1040.  Check the IRS notice you should have received telling you this. 

Step 2 - file the 1120-S as required then when the IRS sends the penalty notice ask for forgiveness siting your ignorance  of the requirement ... they usually forgive you the fist time you file late.  

Step 3  -  amend the personal return adding the K-1 form from the 1120-S and remove the incorrect Sch C. 

The 1120-S requires the TT Business program to complete it :  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Thank you! 

Step 1 - I never got any such notice, but that seems like the most likely explanation.

Step 2 - The 1120-S is full of stuff I didn't do, stuff related to unemployment, payroll - because I didn't think I was a corporation. I should leave all that blank? It seems like that's asking for trouble.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies