turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a F1 student I already filled my refund using TurboTax and my tax status is showing "accepted" but how can I fill my amended return? Any help will be appreciated.

I am a F1 student I have already filled my refund using Turbotax and my tax status is showing "accepted" but I heard I need to fill the 1040NR form not 1040 NR. When I go to amend my return then I see from TurboTax that "You're going to have to wait until the tax form for amending a return (Form 1040X) is ready for processing. Form 1040X will be ready on 02/22/2019." What should I do now and how can I fill my amended return? I also got my state refund from Oklahoma. Do I need to amend it as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I am a F1 student I already filled my refund using TurboTax and my tax status is showing "accepted" but how can I fill my amended return? Any help will be appreciated.

Yes, you will need to amend your returns. If you have been in the US less than five years or part years on an F1 visa, you will need to file a nonresident return. You will need to amend your return after you receive your federal refund or your federal return has been processed.  If the refund is more that you would have received on a nonresident return, the IRS will send you a notice of payment due.

You will need to file a nonresident return. 

TurboTax does not support nonresident or dual status returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident/dual status tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

You can print the 1040X from the website. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

To amend Form 1040 or to file the correct return, do the following: 

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return ( Form 1040NR, .). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.

You will need to go to your state website and locate the 2018 state amended form.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you will need to amend your returns. If you have been in the US less than five years or part years on an F1 visa, you will need to file a nonresident return. You will need to amend your return after you receive your federal refund or your federal return has been processed.  If the refund is more that you would have received on a nonresident return, the IRS will send you a notice of payment due.

You will need to file a nonresident return. 

TurboTax does not support nonresident or dual status returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident/dual status tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

You can print the 1040X from the website. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

To amend Form 1040 or to file the correct return, do the following: 

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return ( Form 1040NR, .). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.

You will need to go to your state website and locate the 2018 state amended form.

I already got my return from TurboTax? Can I fill the 1040X now?
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, go to the IRS website (see link above) and print off the 2018 1040X.

Thanks.

When I fill my use Sprintax site, can  just print out the 1040NR without sending it to IRS? Since I already got my 1040 return money from IRS, I believe I do not need to send the 1040NR by online to IRS again right? I assume I can use the Springtax website to print my 1040NR to send along with amended return right? If you kindly answer that it will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Hi.  You are correct.  You need to print your 1040NR from the Sprintax website and send it to the IRS along with your amended return.  You may need to return some of the money you received from the 1040 you filed.

Springtax said that I can send the amended return for my 2018 tax return from their website. Should I then need to print the form of 1040NR or should I wait for the availability of the amended return for Springtax and submit it by online even if I submitted and got my initial return from TurboTax initially?
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

The instructions above are from the IRS website as to what you should do if you filed a 1040 by mistake and should have filed a 1040NR. Whatever you decide, just make sure that the final product agrees with the IRS instructions.

Okay Thanks.

I got my 1040NR form using Glacier Tax software. Now when I will send IRS the forms here are the list of forms which I am sending - 1) 1040X 2) 1040NR 3) 8843 4) attached copies of w2 forms. Do I need to include also send my 1040 form too which I got from Turbotax? Also in the 1040x form there is a option called "Amended return filing status. You must check one box even if you are not changing your filing status." For me it is single, I assume I need to fill that right? For the 1040NR form, I need to write "amended" on the top of 1st page right or do I need to write it on every page?For the reason if I write " Mistakenly filled 1040 and received refund. Now submitting the amended one." Is it correct? Thanks in advance.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

No you do not need to send your 1040.  Yes, you can click that you are single.  Just write Amended at the top of the first page of the 1040NR.  In the explanation tell the IRS that you mistakenly filed a 1040 resident return.  Amended return therefore is a 1040NR.

Thanks so much for all of your helpful responses. Really appreciate it. I  will send the return this week then.

I used SpringTax for state return and was able to print it and sent the Tax return today to my state using the amended 1040 NR along with W2 forms. I did not send 1040 with state amended. I have one concern and wondering whether I wrote "Amended" on the top of my 1040NR form which I sent to IRS federal return but wrote the explanation in 1040x so they should understand it. Will it create any issues if I missed "Amended"? Thanks.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

No, it should not create any issues.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies