I accidentally put that i was a new york city resident on my return. will this affect my refund?

brooke_conley

I am a new York state part year resident. I have never lived in New York City. Will I have to amend my taxes or will it be caught while in review? 

DS30

Yes - If you already filed your NY state taxes and stated that you are an NYC resident when you are not, the NY return will include a tax for NYC. So your refund would actually be lower than if you are not an NYC resident.

The chances of the NY Department of Revenue catching this are slim to none.

If you want to see how much more refund you would get as a non-NYC resident, then you will have to prepare an amended NY state income tax return.

Click - How to Amend a Return You Already Filed

Amended returns must be printed and mailed, and take up to 12 weeks to process.