Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ikdb1313

I accidentally hit "file my return"... I need to remove the W-2 and file (not amend) electronically as per New York State law.

So, here is the story... I have been trying to file for months now... I accidentally went all the way, and TurboTax won't allow me to file electronically with a W-2 that lacks a value in Box 1... I contacted the IRS, and they stated that I don't need to record the extra W-2, but unfortunately, I seem to have locked myself out of filing completely, as NYS law requires that all software based tax prepared tax forms be sent electronically... Thus, I need to simply go into TurboTax, remove the W-2, and file the first time electronically before Tax Day...

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I accidentally hit "file my return"... I need to remove the W-2 and file (not amend) electronically as per New York State law.

Did you actually e-file your federal?
ikdb1313

And by the way, I have not yet printed my original returns and sent them, as NYS will not accept a paper return... It is only my third time filing taxes, and I really just want to fix it and send it immediately...
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I am going to give you instructions on how to amend so you can 'unlock' your return.
ikdb1313

In past years, yes... This year, I got stuck with a W-2 that I thought had to be reported... As I stated, I contacted the IRS about it, and it turns out to be a valid, but unnecessary W-2... I have not printed my returns, nor sent them in any form for this year...
ikdb1313

TurboTax insists I must file on paper, but I know after contacting the IRS that this is not the case, and my only option (according to TurboTax) is to file a 1040X...
ikdb1313

So, no, haven't filed at all!
ikdb1313

Okay...

If you hit File my Return then it probably got sent by efile.  You better double check if it went though,
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp">https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efi...>
ikdb1313

Would it allow me to efile normally (i.e. standard 1040)?
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You can mail your NY return - see below.   When you sign in, do you see 'Take me to my return'?
ikdb1313

And, to answer VolvoGirl's question, uh... No, the IRS hasn't received anything either...
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed"... is the amend link if you are locked out.
ikdb1313

I just want to finally finish filing my taxes the first time!
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

When you sign in - What do you see?  Do you see 'Take me to my return'?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies