turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask the Experts about Extension Filing! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally claimed my daughter as my dependent?

How long will it take?
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

I accidentally claimed my daughter as my dependent?

You may have to amend your tax return to remove a dependent. The amendment may take at least 11-12 weeks to process.

If your return is e-filed but pending - please wait. If it is rejected for some reason, you can remove your dependent then and re e-file.

If the return has been e-filed and accepted, you can only make the change by amending your tax return. The 1040X for amending 2015 returns will not be available until mid-February.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies