turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally chose to block federal withholding from my paychecks and didn't know it until I received my W-2. What do I need to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JulieCo

I accidentally chose to block federal withholding from my paychecks and didn't know it until I received my W-2. What do I need to do?

You will want to complete and submit a new W-4 form to your employer to have your withholding changed for the income you receive in 2018. See instructions below to complete this.

For 2017, you may owe taxes on your W-2 income.  TurboTax will calculate this for you as it completes your entire return, taking into account your entire tax scenario (all your income, deductions and credits, if any). 

To create new W-4 Form:

Once you have completed your tax return, you can create and print a new W-4 form within TurboTax by typing "W-4" in the search field at the right-hand top of the screen and select "Jump to W-4."  The screens will let you enter in your expected income and deductions for the next tax year in order to assist you in determining what your withholding allowances should be on your W-4.  This form can then be printed, signed and given to your employer.

Debrad52
Returning Member

What should I do?

Debrad52
Returning Member

What is the answer to this question?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

You will want to complete and submit a new W-4 form to your employer to have your withholding changed for the income you receive in 2018. See instructions below to complete this.

For 2017, you may owe taxes on your W-2 income.  TurboTax will calculate this for you as it completes your entire return, taking into account your entire tax scenario (all your income, deductions and credits, if any). 

To create new W-4 Form:

Once you have completed your tax return, you can create and print a new W-4 form within TurboTax by typing "W-4" in the search field at the right-hand top of the screen and select "Jump to W-4."  The screens will let you enter in your expected income and deductions for the next tax year in order to assist you in determining what your withholding allowances should be on your W-4.  This form can then be printed, signed and given to your employer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies