Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

husband owes back child support, not me

We filed jointly only because my income is non-taxable. How can I get my children's and my money? How is it that the IRS can take money from people that are in need of it. My husband is paying his child support, but all because he got behind because of job loss, now the whole family is suffering. How can I get the money that is owed to us? From my understanding, because he owes back child support, none of us will receive any of these checks that Trump is sending out to help families. How can I fix this?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

husband owes back child support, not me

I am afraid you will not be able to fix it.  Per IRS, if you’re on the Treasury Offset list for unpaid child support, your stimulus check will be reduced by the amount you owe. It's unclear if you'll receive a notice in advance—to find out if your name is on the Treasury Offset list, call the toll-free IRS number at 1-800-304-3107.





**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

husband owes back child support, not me

You can't call the number. Nobody answers it. I have tried many times. And it's my husband that's on it, not me or my children.  By law  they  cannot take my money for his child support. I know this because they have tried twice now and I have gotten my money back. The people that deal with child support told me this, and returned my money. So how are they allowed to take my children and it's stimulus checks?

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies