Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a LTR 4883C LETTER TO VERIFY WHOM IAM

now they want me go to the irs office to verify whom I am can y'all help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/employees/understanding-your-4883c-letter  is a link.  You need to call the IRS or go in as your letter stated to verify who you are. This is to protect your identity since there is mass id theft out there and there has been issues of people filing false returns claiming to be someone they are not.  This has no relation to the product you used for filing your return.  They will tell you it will take 9 weeks to process your return after you submit proof of identification but, it can be much shorter, some received refunds within days.  

What you need to do
  • Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number at 800-830-5084. Or go in to their office as instructed in the letter.
  • you must have:
    • The letter
    • A prior year tax return
    • The tax return for the year the notice is for
    • Any supporting documents for each year’s return, such as Forms W-2 or 1099, Schedules C or F, etc.

The toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number is available for you to call even if you haven't filed a tax return for this year. However, we can’t discuss any other tax related information during the call.

Answers to common questions

What happens after I call?

We’ll continue processing your tax return once we verify your identity and confirm that you submitted the return. If you did file the return, please know it will take approximately nine weeks to process it once you verify your identity.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
maglib
Level 11

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/employees/understanding-your-4883c-letter  is a link.  You need to call the IRS or go in as your letter stated to verify who you are. This is to protect your identity since there is mass id theft out there and there has been issues of people filing false returns claiming to be someone they are not.  This has no relation to the product you used for filing your return.  They will tell you it will take 9 weeks to process your return after you submit proof of identification but, it can be much shorter, some received refunds within days.  

What you need to do
  • Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number at 800-830-5084. Or go in to their office as instructed in the letter.
  • you must have:
    • The letter
    • A prior year tax return
    • The tax return for the year the notice is for
    • Any supporting documents for each year’s return, such as Forms W-2 or 1099, Schedules C or F, etc.

The toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number is available for you to call even if you haven't filed a tax return for this year. However, we can’t discuss any other tax related information during the call.

Answers to common questions

What happens after I call?

We’ll continue processing your tax return once we verify your identity and confirm that you submitted the return. If you did file the return, please know it will take approximately nine weeks to process it once you verify your identity.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN CALLING THE IRS AFTER RECEIVING THE 4883 C OR ( TAX PAYER IDENTIFICATION LETTER.)

• First off everyone DONT FREAK OUT! 🙂 This is for you ( the taxpayers ) protection only!!!! It DOESNT mean your being reviewed or audited the Irs made that 10000000% clear.
  • For 2017 I claimed head of household, with one dependent my daughter and was self-employed. I always have issues with my daughters father trying to fraudulently claim her so I was happy to hear that the IRS is looking out for me.
  • YOUR TAXES WERE APPROVED BY THE IRS ALREADY WHICH YAYYYYY
  • After the painful 30 min wait on hold I spoke with a rep
  • IS A MUST YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE LETTER 4883C THEY SENT TO YOU VIA MAIL BEFORE CALLING THE IRS BECAUSE THEY WILL ASK FOR A CONTROL NUMBER THAT IS ON YOUR LETTER.
  • AFTER THEY OBTAIN YOUR CONTROL # THEY ASKED ME FOR MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER AND FULL BIRTH NAME OR NAME STATED ON THIS YEARS TAXES. THEY ASKED ME IF I FILED FOR 2016, IF YOU DID... WHICH I DIDNT THAN THEY WILL ASK YOU WHAT YOUR REFUND AMOUNT OR AGI (ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME WAS FOR THAT YEAR. AS FOR ME I DIDN'T FILE IN 2016 SO I THOUGHT THEY WOULD USE MY PREVIOUS YEAR BEFORE THAT (2015) BUT THEY DIDN'T;INSTEAD THEY ASKED MY EXPECTED REFUND AMOUNT FOR 2017. THE REP ALSO WILL ASK YOUR MOTHERS AND FATHERS BIRTH NAMES AS WELL AS WHERE I WAS BORN WHAT TOWN AND STATE. THEY WILL ALSO CONFIRM MAILING ADDRESS OR ADDRESS YOU USED ON YOUR CURRENT OR OLD TAX RETURN. THE LAST QUESTION WAS MY BANK ROUTING AND ACCOUNT NUMBER THAT MY DIRECT DEPOSIT FOR THIS TAX YEAR IS GOING TO AND WELL I PASSED OF COURSE!!! AT THE END OF MY ADVENTURE WITH THE IRS SHE HIT ME WITH SOME HARD NEWS... IT WILL TAKE UP TO 9 WEEKS TO RECEIVE MY REFUND WHICH REALLY STINKS.
  • LASTLY SHE ASSURED ME SOON ENOUGH TO KEEP CHECKING IRS.GOV/REFUNDS TO CHECK DAILY AS MY ORANGE BARS SHOULD SHOW BACK UP SOON INSTEAD OF THE LAME REDUNDANT MESSAGE OF, : WE ARE PROCESSING YOUR RETURNS. A REFUND DATE WILL BE POSTED WHEN AVAILABLE OR SOME MUMBO JUMBO.
  • EVERYONE JUST STAY POSITIVE OUR HARD EARNING TAX DOLLARS ARE COMING SOON!!!!!!!

Remember those additional I.R.S. agents they hired last year? Well now you know why. This is an employment boondongle by the Government. I know. I work D.O.D. 31 years and saw 80 million dollars in fraud in failed project after failed project. I realized right before I retired that its all a white collar welfare scam. The hired incompetence is immense. Why should I have sour grapes after the Gov treated me so well? Because the tax payer needs to know the TRUTH. I guess I will be audited after this comment. I will post if it happens.

@phyzx - you are commenting on a 6 month old post.

1)  The identity check is triggered when fraud or suspected identity theft is suspected and is in response to congressional oversight.  It has nothing to do with government hiring.

2) Using this forum to vent about political issues or the government is in violation of the TOS for this forum.

I am closing this post.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Copleymel1
Returning Member

I have called the toll free number but due to the covid-19 the Irs is not receiving calls what do I do?

I’m having the same problem and have been trying to get help with this for 2weeks. No one will help. 

I'm having the same issues. Recording says no more calls can be answered and to try again later or tomorrow. Did you ever get through to speak with someone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

keep trying that's all you can do. 

Fishdog89

I've had the same issue. I've been calling every day for a month now and continue to get the same response. 

I finally got someone, had to call very early though. Make sure to have all the docs listed on the letter ready to go. They asked me about 5 different questions if I remember correctly...entire call took about 10 mins. Good luck.

bledse75

i need help with online idenity verification it wont let me move on after i put my name adress in

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

The letter you received has a toll free number that is exclusive for identity verification. Try calling that instead. Please see this from the IRS for more information and what you will need to have ready when you call: Understanding Your Letter 4883C or 6330C

@bledse75

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

not sure what to do. i keep calling and cant get through. can i please get help in this matter

@steveillies5 wrote:

not sure what to do. i keep calling and cant get through. can i please get help in this matter

Use IDverify website.

Go to this IRS website for the 5071C letter - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-5071c-or-6331c

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies