Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How will the SALT max of 10K be affected by a 2017 state tax refund? Will IRS net the 2017 state refund against my 2018 state tax payments? Or is the 2017 refund income?

I need to know whether or not to pay my final est. in 2018 or defer to 2019.  If the 2017 state refund is netted against my 2018 est. pmts, then I need to pay the final est. in 2018.  If the 2017 refund is treated strictly as income, then I have the max $10,000 for the SALT deduction.  And I will be itemizing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How will the SALT max of 10K be affected by a 2017 state tax refund? Will IRS net the 2017 state refund against my 2018 state tax payments? Or is the 2017 refund income?

If you itemized your deductions in 2017 then the 2017 state tax refund is added as income on the 2018 Form 1040 Schedule 1 Line 10, it is not entered on Schedule A.

It begs the question: should not the NET  SALT over the $10K be the "lost" amount?  It's only fair!
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you took a state income deduction rather than a sales tax deduction on your 2017 1040, then the refund might be taxable.  it is never netted.     why might it be taxable if you took the income tax deduction.  if you were in AMT, part of the deduction did not produce a federal tax benefit. OR you might have paid part in 2018 such as an extension or estimate payment,   AND there could be other reasons

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies