turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

henshaw71

How will I know or what will it say in my turbotax account if I get audited?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It won't say anything in your TurboTax account if you are audited.  Once your efiled return is accepted for processing by the IRS, TurboTax gets no further feedback from the IRS.

The IRS will mail a postal letter if you are audited, and the IRS Audit Support Center can help you with that if it were to happen, or perhaps you purchased optional Audit Defense or MAX.

henshaw71

Ok ty I filed my taxes february24th and still have not heard anything at all nor have I received my taxes yet.

@ henshaw71 wrote:

Ok ty I filed my taxes february24th and still have not heard anything at all nor have I received my taxes yet.

That's not an audit.   I suspect you meant to ask what if your return was pulled for manual review during processing.

They may be looking at something a little more closely because of a specific issue with the return, although some returns are pulled at random for more processing.   Only the IRS knows for sure what all they doing with your return.   This year there have been a lot of problems with stimulus entries creating delays.

This IRS FAQ gives some situations where it might take longer than 21 days:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

If you efiled, you should double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.,

If that showed it was accepted, (or if you mailed a paper return), you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to monitor the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

TIPS when using the IRS WMR tool:

• Be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.  Or if you filed a paper return in postal mail, wait at least 4 weeks before using it.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

To track a state refund:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

If you efiled, and it's been longer than 21 days, and wish to phone the IRS (which won't be easy), here's how to try to reach a live IRS agent.   If you printed and mailed the return, you shouldn't phone them until it's been longer than 6 weeks (in normal times), and it's likely to be even a longer delay than that for a printed return due to the personnel shortages during the Pandemic--i.e., a mailed return can take several weeks to months.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies