turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

richfng

How to submit a revised 2023 Tax Return?

I made a mistake on my Tax Return about my son as Non-Dependent as his Mom get's to claim him as a Dependent this year. I've submitted mine electronically and it was accepted and now she's trying to submit her's but it won't accept it as she's claiming him as her Dependent. So she can't file until mine is revised.... How can I revise and resubmit electronically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

She can file at any time with the child as a dependent on her tax return.  But her return can only be printed and and mailed, it cannot be e-filed since the IRS has already received a tax return with the dependent's SSN.  And amending your return will still not allow her to e-file.

If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 20 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

You will have to amend your return.  She will have to print and mail her return this year even if you amend.  So she doesn't have to wait for your return to clear.

You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You need to file an amended return. To file an amended return.  If you prepared your original tax return using TurboTax, log in to your account, open the tax return you already filed, and click on the link to amend your return. From there, the software will walk you through the process of filing the amendment.

If you didn't use TurboTax to file your tax return, you can use TurboTax to prepare the amendment. However, you'll first have to enter your information into TurboTax to match what you filed the first time, then start the process of amending it.

For more information on filing an amended return see: How to File an Amended Tax Return with the IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
richfng

I used TT Deluxe from Costco and can't see on the program where I can amend my return.

@richfng wrote:

I used TT Deluxe from Costco and can't see on the program where I can amend my return.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions -

Continue the tax return you want to amend 

Click on Federal Taxes

Click on Other Tax Situations

Under Other Tax Forms

On Amend a return, click on the start button

DawnC
Expert Alumni

To amend your return in TurboTax Desktop, follow the instructions below:  

1. Open the TurboTax Desktop software for the year you're amending
    • For example, you must amend your 2023 return in the 2023 version of TurboTax.
  2. Under Need to Amend a Filed Return?, select Amend a Filed Return.
    • 2021 and earlier versions of TurboTax may say Amend a return (make changes) after it was filed and accepted by the IRS instead.
  3. Select Amend for the return you need to amend.
    • If the return you need to amend doesn’t appear as an option, select Find a Tax File to find and load the return.
  4. On the We’ll help you change (amend) your return screen, select Continue.
  5. Select Yes, I’ve already filed my return.
  6. Choose the option that best applies when asked Tell us a little more about your amend situation and Continue.
  7. On the next screen, select Update next to the info you need to change.
  8. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return.
  9. Don’t forget to select Save As (or Duplicate on Mac) from the File menu when you save a copy of your amended return. This will preserve the tax return you originally filed.
    • Give the file a different name from the original, like 2023_amended_tax_return_Smith

Amend Tax Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies