turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to check the federal refund and ITIN application status? I mailed the completed return with the ITIN application in mid April. I got state return but not federal yet.

Filed a joint return with my wife's ITIN application. I mailed the return after verifying with licensed agent.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How to check the federal refund and ITIN application status? I mailed the completed return with the ITIN application in mid April. I got state return but not federal yet.

Assuming you mailed your federal return to the IRS and not to your state, here is where you check the status of your refund: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If you accidentally mailed your federal return to your state, the state will not forward it to the IRS. 

I believe that’s what happened. When I check the refund status either online or on call there is absolutely no information. The only reason I had to mail in the return is I was applying for ITIN for my wife. So, I went to the federal licensed agent. The put the mailing addresses. I had 3 packages, one for federal, one for state, one for local. I have heard back from both state and local but not federal. What should I do now? Is it okay to mail in the return one more time? This is just crazy...

The ITIN app + 1040 needed to be mailed to the ITIN app address and not directly to the IRS.

And how could you file a state or local return without the ITIN? You should have put them on extension and only filed when the ITIN was issued.

I did what Block Advisors suggested. I knew that the ITIN needs to go to a different address. But I didn’t confirm the address before mailing. My tax advisor handed me the packages and I mailed them. She wrote applied in the field for wife’s ssn. And interestingly both the state and local already accepted the returns. I mailed it on 04/17, so I don’t think it could take this long even for ITIN. FYI, I had filed for extension before 04/15. Is there a difference place to check ITIN status? Or all refunds are same?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies