jmdooley9

How to categorize print credits in a photography business

Some photography packages purchased by my clients include "print credits" that they can use towards a print order (similar to a gift card)*. When they place an print order, they use these print credits to cover some (or all) of their purchase. Do I categorize these print credits as a business expense? How would I categorize them?
*Ex: Photography Package A is $200 and includes a $25 print credit. Client purchases this package and later makes a $50 purchase when ordering prints, and uses their $25 print credit to cover part of the cost.

MinhT

I assume that you use the cash method like a vast majority of self-employed people and small businesses.

The print credits are not exactly a business expense. They are a discount on future business. When your clients redeem these print credits, they will pay a reduced amount for their new order. You just report the net amount (after print credits) as income. In fact, print credits are not a business expense, but a reduction in income when they are redeemed.

MinhT

jmdooley9

Thanks! Since I pay sales tax on the pre-print credit amount, I was worried about my reported income for my state sales tax not lining up with my reported income for federal income purposes. But this makes sense.