Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to amend a return to remove a dependent so the intended parent can claim them?

I recently submitted my taxes and they were accepted. One of my children were not meant to be claimed on my taxes, her father who we live with, is to claim her. I've seen several recommendations floating around, but I'm unsure of what to do. I was going to wait until AFTER I receive the first taxes to come back, to file an amend to remove the dependent. 

Should he wait to file his return via mail (including the same dependent I will make the amend to remove) until after I submit my amendment? Or would it be best for us to mail out my amended tax return (removing the dependent) & his tax return (to ADD that dependent) at the same time to avoid him having to wait until after my amendment is processed? I want to make sure we were able to file how we initially planned to.

I saw something also stating that even if he sends his tax return in with the same dependent I did my amendment to remove, he still cannot claim her because she was previously claimed, even though the return was amended to remove her. Does anyone know if this is true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

How to amend a return to remove a dependent so the intended parent can claim them?

To remove a dependent, submit Form 1040-X with a new list of dependents.

You may have a new refund or different "amount you owe".

That's why you use the tax software.

If you don't submit the changes, IRS will probably do the calculation for you and send you a bill.

OR, they will send it back and tell you to  try again.

@Sailorspoon94 

Regardless of whether you amend or not,

the other parent can submit the return with the dependent, but it will have to be a paper return

filed by US Mail.

If there are two returns with that dependent IRS will contact one or both of you to resolve it.

@Sailorspoon94 

Thank you for your response. I know I have to submit an amendment which will be done via turbo tax, but my question was regarding the removal process from the dependent from my taxes, and the other parent adding them & how that process would work. I wouldn’t be listing any new dependents at all. 

I see. So we can still processed to file his taxes with the dependent added. I’ll file the amendment (and even if I don’t) the IRS will contact us to determine who is to claim the dependent & since I’ll be removing the dependent so he can add her, I’ll just have to return whatever amount I’ll end up owing to the IRS and he’ll end up receiving the difference from what he would’ve initially received. Is this correct? @fanfare 

@fanfare plesse see the messages above.

If you claimed one, then your new list will be empty.

You explain all this in the Part III Explanation box.

@Sailorspoon94 

You are correct, but it will be a long time before IRS gets back to you.

It is best to submit the amendment.

@Sailorspoon94 

I seriously appreciate your response. We just realized what happened (filed two days ago) and are trying to fix this but was having trouble finding help with this. Just to confirm, once I receive the my first taxes back, I’ll file the amendment to remove the dependent. Prior to me filing the amendment or even after I do it, we can submit his return via mail WITH the dependent I filed my amendment to remove & if the IRS received his return prior to processing my amendment, they’ll reach out to us to determine who’s to claim that dependent? We just are worried his will be rejected via mail if they haven’t got to processing my amendment yet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies