Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

laurawitt

How many years of taxes will Turbo Tax keep on record?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TurboTax retains online tax returns for the past 7 years, the same length of retention as the IRS for federal tax returns.

If Turbo Tax hold returns for 7 years, then why does it suggest I print or download the return by mid October the same year I filed it?

Why would you NOT keep a PDF record or paper copy for yourself ?   Why would you expect a tax company to have them available to you at all times?   The tax year closes at the end of the season in October and the files are archived ... access to the files are offline for about 6 weeks and inevitably that is when you will need a copy for something.  So saving your returns is in your own best interest.  And what if something happens to the Intuit servers ?  Or they go out of business?  

4)   People forget their login, or somehow lose access to that online account......so they can no longer recover those files if needed for some reason.

5)  They get married, or divorced and have to create another account.  The access to the previous files depends on you paying for TTX every year in the exact account the original files were created in....they don't transfer to the new account.

6) Many folks really want to keep a record of all their tax files for many years longer...even if they don't keep the backup documents used to create the files.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies