Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do i write off a ponzi scheme investment. I need specifics, not the IRS publication. Like what forms need to be filled out and submitted? Thank you

A good way to locate a CPA is to see who other Ponzi victim members use and perhaps choose from that list.

Generally speaking, you'd want to be in touch with other victims. There is much evolving info regarding safe harbor qualification (criminal action, "ponzi-like" status from some gov branch, year of discovery (when did who know what? I waited until SEC's Ponzi-like document per safe harbor), class actions, and bankruptcy receivership.

Year of discovery is rather important IF you have to line up large income to offset against. I knew a victim who was a CPA and took the most aggressive timeline on the very first phone call he got on the loss. It was was at year end and was useful to offset his large real estate gains in that particular year.

My case was Aequitas. $600M Ponzi case. Was a good private equity for many years but got greedy and took high risks. Started courting small financial advisors to draw in more investments. SEC brought case against the principles and issued letter stating "ponzi-like" satisfying IRS Ponzi safe harbor guidelines clearly.

- Biggest recovery (56% of loss) was class action against auditor (Deloitte)

- Receivership (bankruptcy asset recovery) was 2nd (29% of loss)

- Small recovery ( 5% of loss) from smaller lawyers chasing small financial advisors for the victim group. These recoveries are from advisory firm's business insurance and legal defense fees draws against the max insurance payout so victim lawyers are motivated to settle quickly.

Borbom4ever
Returning Member

How do i write off a ponzi scheme investment. I need specifics, not the IRS publication. Like what forms need to be filled out and submitted? Thank you

Thanks for your information and very appreciated.

Phil2223

Hi NancyN2,

Can you help me determine how I can best submit Form 4684 for a Crypto theft via Ponzi Scheme to help recoup my taxes. My crypto wallets were compromised by criminals on Binance and have reported to authorities who are pursuing tracing to source although funds cannot be recovered directly. I believe I meet all criteria for Form 4684 for a Ponzi Scheme and need help to submit it properly. What would you recommend for me? Thanks, Phil 

Borbom4ever
Returning Member

You need to find a CPA who knows how to file Ponzi scheme related taxes return. Let them do the tax return for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies